We are currently hiring a Research & Program Manager.
1. About Aquaya
The Aquaya Institute (Aquaya) is an independent, non-profit research and consulting organization dedicated to safe, equitable, and sustainable water and sanitation in developing countries. Our mission is to improve public health by reducing the burden of waterborne diseases. Aquaya was established in 2005 to provide development agencies, governments, and implementing organizations with a trustworthy and agile resource for conducting rigorous research, experimentation, and evaluation.
Aquaya has completed projects spanning public health, economics, technology development, and social entrepreneurship in over 20 countries of Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We have published or contributed to over 20 peer-reviewed research articles and produced numerous other report and publications.
Aquaya maintains an office in Nairobi, Kenya. Staff members are also located in other African countries, Europe, and the US. Many of our projects are carried-out in collaboration with academic research groups and expert consultants.
2. About the Research & Program Manager position
We are recruiting a Research & Program Manager for a full-time position based in Nairobi. The Research & Program Manager will report to Aquaya’s Senior Research & Program Manager and share responsibilities for the execution of multiple Aquaya programs. We are searching for candidates who are eager to work collaboratively with other staff members and consultants on a range of programs that will vary over time. In other words, this position is not focused on a specific program, research activity or time period. In other words, this position is not focused on a specific program, research activity or time period. Some of our current programs are on our website or the job flyer.
3. Criteria for the Research & Program Manager position
The following qualifications are necessary for this position:
• A PhD degree in one of these disciplines: epidemiology, economics, environmental engineering, environmental sciences.
• Primary authorship (i.e., first author position) of a peer-reviewed paper published in an international scientific journal.
• Commitment to living in Nairobi on a full-time basis. Working remotely or maintaining a part-time residency in Nairobi are not options for this position.
• Ability to travel up to 30% time, often alone and often to remote areas of Africa and Asia.
• Fluency in both French and English.
We are also looking for the following skills and attributes:
• Previous work experience in developing countries.
• Demonstrated expertise in data management and statistical analysis.
• Interest in conducting research that informs development programming.
• Strong work ethic and a commitment to delivery.
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Outstanding organization and time management skills, with an attention to detail and an ability to establish systems to manage constant flows of information and deliver on deadlines.
• Proven ability to work closely with a small team and to successfully manage multiple and changing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, while maintaining a positive and productive attitude and a good sense of humor!
4. Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. Aquaya offers competitive salaries that are commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, enrollment in a retirement plan, reimbursements of relocation costs, and reimbursements of annual home leave travel expenses.
5. To apply
Please submit your resume via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a thoughtful cover letter.
In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in Aquaya’s mission and activities. Please also tell us why your skills, background, and accomplishments make you the ideal candidate for this position, specifically highlighting your experience in developing countries, your background in quantitative data analysis, and any abilities to work in languages other than English.
Please note that we will not consider applications without a cover letter. In your e-mail subject line, please specify “Research & Program Manager 2018”. No phone calls please.